Building with Structural Insulated Panels; It's Really Not Complicated.
Making the switch to SIPs is easier than you think. SIPs are widely available and make it easy to build really energy efficient buildings that go up fast. If your crew has experience with stick framing, they already have the skills needed to install and build with structural insulated panels.
Why Building with SIPs is The Future of Framing
Structural Insulated panels are like giant ice cream sandwiches with a solid insulating foam filling and OSB (oriented strand board) on the outside. Together these two products create an extremely airtight building system, with no thermal bridging, that is easier to erect and 2 1/2 times stronger than stick-frame construction.
Seven Reasons YOU Should Be Building With SIPs
1. Faster construction—Structural insulated panels combine structural framing, insulation, and sheathing into one step. All Enercept window and door openings are factory built, complete with framing and headers. The fast enclosure system also extends your building season.
2. Less framing labor—Building with structural insulated panels requires less on-site labor, saving you money. Enercept also offers on-site technical training for builders new to SIP construction.
A BASF Corporation time and motion study conducted by the RS Means unit of Reed Construction Data shows that residential builders can reduce their framing labor needs by as much as 55 percent by using structural insulated panels (SIPs) instead of conventional “stick-building” methods.
3. Less job site waste—We've seen examples where the exterior framing waste of an Enercept home can be hauled off in a single 55-gallon container. So, instead of renting a roll-off container, you may be able to remove the waste in the bed of your pick-up.
4. Fewer framing errors—SIPs reduce the margin for framing errors. Each panel is numbered to correspond with a computerized CAD panel blueprint. With the Enercept 4′-wide panel system, all rough openings are cut and framed at the factory and include structural headers. Panels are built to the engineer’s specs, taking the hassle and guesswork out of design and quality control on-site.
5. Increased demand for green, energy-efficient buildings/homes—SIPs meet this demand. More and more consumers are looking for high-performance building envelopes. Plus, building codes are calling for tighter envelopes.
6. Factory-built SIPs are built inside—This means there is less exposure to the elements during construction decreasing the risk of rot and mold. Because SIPs are prefabricated and save on overall construction time, you have the option of waiting for better weather.
7. Customer Satisfaction—SIPs offer increased structural stability and accuracy. Not only are the solid building blocks inherently sturdier, but they go up smoother and straighter and result in a structure that is truer to the blueprints. But, the main thing that draws homeowners to SIPs is their superior insulating qualities. A SIP house is insulated better than a framed one, plain and simple.
What Others Have Told Enercept:
"One major benefit of doing business with Enercept was your willingness to be flexible when architecture dictated a change. I rank Enercept at the top of all my major purchases!" Randall Fischer, Rosholt, WI
"After being a building contractor for more than 20 years - this new method is superior - the only way to go." Kevin Malmquist, Grand Rapids, MN
"From the perspective of a person who is trying to be their own G.C. and not knowing much about construction...Enercept personnel were eager to help and explain the process. My builders had never built a SIP home, they also found it easy and precise. Everything fit together as it should and instructions were easy to follow. Great Experience!" Todd Snyder, Lakefield, MN
Are you ready to learn more?